Components of California Bill AB1998
- If passed, will take effect July 1, 2011
- Ban plastic bags
- Paper bags must be at least made form 40% post consumer waste
- Customers requesting paper bags must pay at least five cents
- Reduce plastic bag waste which take up to 1000 years to decompose
- Shift Americans from the "throw away culture"
- Supported by grocer's because they can charge for paper bags
- Reduce petroleum use, which is a limited resource use to make plastic bags
- Increase use of paper bags
- Paper bags take up more space in landfill
- Not supported by paper bag manufacturers because production must change to fulfill at least 40% post consumer waste requirement
- Customers oppose because they may have to purchase paper bags
What is your take on the issue? Do think this ban is a positive or negative?